I love goals. Making goals is my idea of fun. I can spend hours coming up with extensive lists of things I want to do, while successfully avoiding doing any actual things. I love goals like I love deadlines. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, I love the whooshing sound they make when they fall by the wayside.
Not completing those goals probably doesn’t bother me as much as it should. I have issues with accountability. We’re all works in progress, though, amiright?
On that note, I’m setting some new goals today (yay!) for this round of ROW80, the writing challenge that knows you have a life. (Note: ROW80 consists of four rounds of 80 days, with different, measurable goals each time and two check-ins per week. Because I don’t have home internet, I just check in on Wednesdays. Want to join? Click here to enter your Linky.)
ROW80 Round 2 Goals
(For the rest of April, anyway.)
- Use a timer! (I have a hard time staying on task, and I think that developing this habit this will help. Plus, it’s a motivator for writing sprints.)
- Work on Charming Cora (CC is a manuscript that was requested by Harlequin. A while ago. Like, a long while. I have 22,997 words left to write, which works out to about 3 pages a day for the rest of the month.)
- Short blog daily (A to Z challenge/ROW80, posting daily for the first and weekly for the second.)
- 15 minutes of German (It’s a self-enrichment thing. The idea is to take a trip to Germany in 20 years, when I’m fluent.)
ROW80 sign up/goal post on Apr. 8Look! I got something done already! 🙂
- Plan out mini-sesson for MMRWA Retreat (If you haven’t heard about this terrifying upcoming event, I’m going to be teaching a class called A Funny Kind of Love: Adding Humor to your Romance. I just peed myself a little, typing that.)
- MMRWA Retreat Apr. 24, 25, 26 (An awesome local chapter of the RWA get-together that I can’t wait to attend, aside from the quavering like lime Jello at the thought of the item above.)
Retreat basket (I have to find some time and money to put together a vintage-themed basket for our retreat fundraising raffle. It also has to be a cool basket that everyone will want. No pressure.)Found great stuff at Hobby Lobby on my lunchtime and now I have TWO things done!
- M, W, F Mid-Michigan Romance Writing 101 FB posts (I’m one of the mods for this group. It’s pretty low-pressure: just Motivational Monday, Word Count Wednesday and Fix-it Friday posts that take a few minutes to write/find a pic for, and moderating some comments. This is a maintenance goal.)
- Galesburg Museum Project Revisit Apr. 27 (Volunteered to be the web gal for a local museum, but haven’t had time to do anything beyond the FB page. Have to write copy for the website, set up a FB posting schedule and get a domain name!)
- Buy a house? (This is still in-progress, but if the good Lord’s willin’ and the crick don’t rise, I might be closing on a house and moving in the next few weeks.)
This is a new approach to goal-setting for me. ALL of these things actually need to get done, so half-assery is not an option. Wish me luck!